Sunday, 8 January 2012

Excited about my 2012 list

This is my first blog entry and I'm rather excited about it. The idea of a public diary is somewhat strange but also quite interesting so I'm keen to give it a go. Inspired by Georgie's post of her 2012 aims I wanted to do the same to give me some mini goals to work towards - some boring and needed (like decorating) but some fun ones to give myself a bit of a treat. As I'm in my 28th year I've got 28 aims which are:


  1.  Donate/raise £1,500+ for charity
  2. Complete a 10k race in under 1 hour
  3. Learn the dance to "Thriller"
  4. See a new wonder of the world
  5. Be able to do a proper press up
  6. Learn to cook excellent fudge
  7. Learn to draw
  8. Do a drawing worthy of being displayed on the wall in the house
  9. Collect and send 50+ squares to the knit-a-square campaign for orphans in Africa
  10. Host a dinner party
  11. Try something new each month
  12. Finish several half-read books
  13. Have a relaxing bubble bath fortnightly
  14. Make a Christmas Shoe Box for Samaritans Purse
  15. Re-decorate the bedroom - properly
  16. Put lots of photos up around the house
  17. Display amazing holiday trinkets
  18. Place some of my own Geocaches
  19. Make time to pray each day
  20. Study the Bible
  21. Spend more time outdoors and less time in front of the computer
  22. Learn to meditate
  23. Try not to get stressed about things that don't matter in the grand scheme of things and appreciate what I have
  24. Cook a new recipe once a month
  25. Go out to dinner with Jonny once a month
  26. Learn about Art - Van Gogh, Monet etc
  27. Try "Park Run" in Headingly
  28. Re-kindle the cross stitch I started in 2009/2010 and ignored in 2011

I wanted a few of these items to be about doing things for other people because I think today's society can make people feel like everything is doom and gloom - recession, rising cost of living etc but I am a lot more fortunate than people in other parts of the world so I feel I should do something to help and share some of the good fortune I have. 

Some of the things are about my own well being - being more relaxed and coping with stress more effectively as I can find it quite debilitating and all consuming sometimes which doesn't help any situation.


Spiritual development is high on the agenda also as I have neglected this a bit in the last year so I would like to learn more about Jesus  - I was reading the old testament but I might skip to the gospels as one of the preachers from church recommended it (especially the book of Luke which has a lot about pastoral care and Jesus' thoughts and actions on helping others which is something I am interested in). I think being kind to people is really important, whether you know them or not - sometimes kindness from strangers can mean a lot. I think this will also help to give me context in my life and help me cope with stress more effectively too.


Last year I also got into fitness after completing a Race for Life (Cancer Research) - I hated it at first but quite like it now. After completing it I was a bit frustrated I didn't do it in under an hour so I did the Abbey Dash for Age UK - after countless weeks of training I got a cold on the day of the race and ended up finishing in 1 hour and 1 minute - gutted! This year I will nail it!!


With the Thriller dance, I just think that's cool. I was Zombie-ing around on New Year's Eve to it and was told my dancing was pants.... so next New Year's Eve when I can do the full routine to it people will eat their words :)


As for the drawing, my mum is such a good artist and our house at home was full or pencil, water colour, oil and acrylic works she's done and i've always been PANTS. Children can draw with more skill than me. So this year i'm going to learn and make myself proud, no longer will I have to be embarrassed when playing pictionary.


I'll keep updates going  - my sugar thermometer is on order from Amazon so hopefully the fudge quest will be soon conquered


Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment